As you are getting ready for the kids to get back to school, you may have noticed “tax free” signs in some locations. This year, we are getting a 10 day holiday and it ends this Sunday, August 16th at 11:59 PM. The Miami Herald explains:
For 2015, the Florida Legislature has granted parents more time to stock up on back-to-school supplies than last year, when the tax-holiday lasted only three days over a weekend. This year’s 10-day holiday equals the longest since Florida began the program in 1998 and is expected to save shoppers $67.8 million statewide. Many retailers will offer additional sales and discounts.
- Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $100 or less per item
- Certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item
- Personal computers and certain computer-related accessories on the first $750 of the sales price, when purchased for noncommercial home or personal use.
But you should also know that the holiday tax does not apply to:
- Any item of clothing selling for more than $100
- Any school supply item selling for more than $15
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Rentals or leases of any of these items
- Repairs or alterations of any of these items
- Sales of clothing, school supplies, or computers and computer-related accessories in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport.
You still have time left! Go take full advantage of the sales tax holiday before it ends!